10.06.2013

Sunday Math Task Debrief


On Friday, I posted a math task for you to check out. Hopefully you at least read it ... maybe you even pulled out a pen or pencil and wrote something out as you thought through the problem. Today, I'm sharing with you a video of me talking through the task.


 
 
 
(Note: it is a small act of God that I was able to finally get this thing up for you all! From the video to the upload, to my internet connection mysteriously going away in the middle of all of it! So with that in mind, please forgive the Blair Witch inspired camera handling, and my stating a mathematical inaccuracy that "18 times 3 is 6", around minute 7 ... by the time I found the mistake, it was time to let it be good enough!)

To give a little more info, this a task that was written to reflect the standard 3.OA.A2 (third grade, in the operations and algebraic thinking domain:
Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 56 ÷ 8 as the number of objects in each share when 56 objects are partitioned equally into 8 shares, or as a number of shares when 56 objects are partitioned into equal shares of 8 objects each.
Do you see how this task relates to the standard? It's worth noticing how instead of just showing students that there are two ways to divide 18 by 3, the problem helps them discover and play with this idea.

I think that the best way to better understand math education is by doing math and thinking about how I, as a learner, engage with the math, as well as how others (my peers, my students, etc) engage with the math.

Do you like doing the math with me? I'd love for you all to share some of your kids' work, and if it fits with what I'll be talking about, I can highlight it, and even work up a little vlog post for one of our Friday Math Tasks, and Sunday Debriefs!


Are you enjoying learning about CCSSM? There are more 31 days posts here. And you can join us on facebook and twitter, for conversations between blog posts, and after October! This week's Tuesday night math chat will be on Twitter, at 9p ET--follow along using #CCSSM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining our conversation! In an effort to build a supportive community, all comments will be moderated, and those comments that do not seek to support and encourage other parents will not be published.