9.30.2013

31 Days of Common Core Math: An Introduction



Do you live in one of the 46 states who have recently adopted the Common Core State Standards? Are you wondering what all the buzz is on the news about this educational initiative? Are you a parent who is concerned about their son or daughter, and how he or she will fare with Common Core Math? Are you freaked out because you hated math, and if they're making it harder, how in the world will you ever help with homework?

Hi. I'm here to help.

I work in math education. I was a math teacher, and now work in teacher professional development, helping teachers better understand the math they teach. Common Core Math is something I work with regularly, discussing it with colleagues, integrating the content into the work I do, and learning about how states and districts are implementing it across the country. However, I realize that this isn't the reality for most parents. I started this blog (and its related math chats) as a resource specifically for parents on Common Core Math. (If you need help with ELA, sorry, but that's not my specialty!)

My hope is that through the next 31 days (and maybe even beyond?) we'll get to chat more, and I can help you...
  • better understand what the Common Core is,
  • know how it's different from other standards,
  • know where the standards came from, 
  • understand what you as a parent can do to support your children and their teachers, 
  • be able to locate resources, 
  • get answers your questions, and
  • have a community of support here!
So buckle in, because it's going to be a fun 31 days. (Yes, you read that right ... fun ... even with math!) There will be opportunities for us to interact directly, and for you to ask specific questions. Did your kiddo bring home a homework problem that's got you stumped? Bring it here! We'll look it over together!

I'm  hoping that by the end of October, you'll feel like you can separate fact from fiction when it comes to Common Core, you'll feel better equipped to talk to your child's teacher about their math, and you'll know how to help your kiddo be successful in math this year.

==========================

Looking for more posts in this 31 day series? Find there here.
 

2 comments:

  1. Love it. We're in CO, where they've adopted Common Core this year and while I know the answers to all the problems the kids have to solve, the solutions make no sense to me. I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, glad to have you here! There are definitely a number of new strategies that we weren't taught when we were in school. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some clarity :) And if you have one that really baffles you, you can always snap a pic of it and post it to our facebook group

    ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Common-Core-Math-for-Parents ),

    so that I can help you with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining our conversation! In an effort to build a supportive community, all comments will be moderated, and those comments that do not seek to support and encourage other parents will not be published.